Chocolate. Need I say more?

|



What is it about winter that brings ravenous chocolate cravings?

You know the ones.

Like the driving-in-your-car-overwhelmed-with-the-mouth-watering-need-to-devour-the-absolute-largest-brownie-with-frosting-you-can-find-as-quick-as-possible.

Or the driving-as-fast-as-you-can-to-the-closest-coffee-shop-to-find-the-most-chocolatey-looking-item-and-proceeding-to-eat-it-as-soon-as-you-get-back-into-the-vehicle.

Yeah.  I've never experienced those.

Riiiiight.  And you thought I was dignified.

Or maybe you didn't.  Don't answer that.



Notice both of these examples involve a vehicle.  See, when I absolutely need chocolate, I don't have the patience to actually make something.

I. need. it. immediately.

So the easiest option is always to drive somewhere in search of my beloved craving.


That's what I thought until I met this recipe.

Pioneer Woman knows my dilemma.  Therefore she created this recipe just for me.  Or, well, maybe it's for you too.  But I'd like to think she had me in mind.  She devised this lovely concoction fully knowing that I need something simple, something easy, something that can be thrown together with minimal ingredients, and is just there when I need it.

Because, you see, chocolate is a necessity in my life.

It just is.

I'm sure you understand.

Go ahead and refer to the above link for the full recipe.  I'll give you a few photos to help you along.  However P-dub has perfected the art of step-by-step electronic baking so I'll let her do the work.

Here are a few to get you started:


Get yourself some pre-made pie crust.  Yes, I realize this
is, in fact, pre-made.  So what.  I can't make everything, people! 
Plus, I've found a brand I like and it's this:


Make sure you get the "deep dish" style.  This pie makes a hefty amount.  
If you get the regular kind, you will be creating 3 or 4 pies, rather than
one, big, lovely chocolatey pie.

I like just one.  One BIG one.  
But that's just me.

Prebake the crust and let it cool while you make the batter.
Blend your butter and sugar together.  
Melt your chocolate in a separate bowl in the microwave.  
Add it, along with the vanilla extract, blend until combined.




Then, THEN, you add the eggs.  Four, to be exact.
One at a time.  This is crucial.
You add one egg every 5 minutes, while the mixer
continuously whisks the batter at a medium speed.  

This process takes 20 minutes. 

But keep in mind, you do nothing, your mixer 
does all the work.  This is one of the best recipes
to use with your KitchenAid.  
It does the job for you.  I love it.

KitchenAid should really pay me.
Don't worry, they don't.  

Here's what it will look like when ready:



Pour your batter into your prebaked pie shell:



Refrigerate for 2 hours or longer.  The longer the better.



Once refrigerated, you can decorate accordingly:



Since I love chocolate, I decided to make a ganache and
squiggle it throughout the top, because, well, I roll like that.
PW makes her own chocolate curls, which you are more
than welcome to do!  I just didn't have the patience for it.
Also:  I wanted more chocolate than that.

If you want to make your own ganache this is what you do:
Melt in a microwave-safe bowl:
1/2 bag (6oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 Tbsp heavy cream

Zap ingredients in microwave for 45 seconds,
stir to combine.  Allow to cool for 5 min,
place in ziploc bag, cut bottom edge and
squirt pretty little designs on the top of the
cooled pie.  Cool the pie again for another 10-15 min,
just until the ganache is set.

Now I realize mine aren't "pretty little designs" I 
just basically squirted the chocolate everywhere
in anticipation of devouring the thing.

You might have more patience than me.
If so, congratulations.  
I am not so admirable.

But really, really, look at her:




Would you have the patience either?

That's what I thought.


6 comments:

Casta said...

Hey Abbie!

You know I love you, but this post isn't helping MY chocolate craving. I'm at work! Boo! Eat a piece for me?

All my love!

Abbie said...

Haha, Casta! Sorry! I had to share.

Casta said...

I'm glad you did. I know what I'm making this weekend for my new sweet treat! Have you tried PW's monkey muffins? I've made them at least once a week for a month now!

Shadley said...

Great recipe! Thanks!! And I, too, am not too ashamed to admit I buy ready made pie crusts!

Kirsten's Cooking said...

Okay, Abbie...
you have inspired me....I bought ready-made pie crusts for the first time yesterday! Have you ever tried the Pillsbury ones? I have to make 100 mini quiches and I decided I'm not driving myself crazy to make the crust! I've tasted the pillsbury ones before and it tasted delish. Just curious why you decided on the other brand? And, really, thanks for admitting you don't do it all, freed me to not have to do it all, either! :)
K

Abbie said...

Kirs-

That IS actually Pillsbury pie crust :) Haha.

Ab

Post a Comment