Get Ready for Some Football!

|
Hey, hey, hey.

So, I know, I know.  I've been non-existent lately.  Forgive me.

Part of the reason is my insane busy-ness this week, part is because Blogger has been exceptionally annoying, and last is simple because I was taking a break.

Blogs are stressful.

Maybe you don't read this thing very much.  Maybe you check every day or every other day.  But, as a person-who-blogs I get this strange guilt that wells up when I fail to blog often.  Like, every-other-day-often.  And I am the worst at feeling guilty.  Or stressed.  Or overwhelmed with anxiety.

Yes, I get anxiety from blogging.

I aim to please my ten readers.  And when I fail you, I feel overwhelming guilt.

So, anyway- all this to say, I apologize.  I will try to be better at blogging often but on occasion I'm sure there will be a stretch of silence.  Forgive me in advance!

Now that we have those things behind us....

What's up for today?

Well, unless you've been living in the far reaches of nowhere, today is Super Bowl Sunday!

Seriously, aren't you pumped?

Okay, to be honest, I could really care less.  I'm not overly into football.  Or sports, I just like big gatherings because it means I get to cook for people.  And people bring lots of good food.  And drinks.  So yeah, I know, I fail as an American.

But, hey, I like to cook.  And eat.  So I might be redeemed by my native country.

Anyway-I have to share a very American treat with you.  It's one you've had likely over and over and over again--and yet, it's 100% fabulous every time.

Really, it isn't possible to screw this one up and nearly everyone loves it.  Little children, old men, and all of us in between.  Unless you are one of those rare folks who have a peanut allergy or something.  If this is you, sorry.  You'll have to refrain.  My sadness and apologies to you.  I would never survive a peanut allergy

Me and peanuts were made to love one another.

So, what's the recipe?

MONSTER COOKIES, Baby!

Or bars, whatever you prefer.  I actually prefer them in the bar-like form but if you are into cookies,
that's your prerogative.  Either way, they are wonderful.

Here's my version:


1/2 C canola oil
3/4 C brown sugar
3/4 C white sugar
1.5 C creamy peanut butter
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp baking soda
4.5 C quick oats*
8 oz (3/4 pkg) semi-sweet chocolate chips
8 oz (3/4 pkg) M &M's**

*I actually always add 1/3 cup ground flaxmeal and 1/3 cup wheat bran, and thus cut the oats down to 3 3/4 cups.  If you don't have either of these, or don't want to add them- just use the full 4.5cups.
**I rarely use M & Ms because I find them pricey and prefer more chocolate chips instead!  I always use a 1.5 packages semi-sweet chocolate chips and skip the M&Ms.  Your call!

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350.  Mix ingredients in order given in a large mixing bowl.  Press into large jellyroll pan (or rimmed baking sheet) if making bars.  If making cookies, drop by tablespoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets.  Bake 15 min.  Don't overbake!  If you are making them in bar form it's even easier.  Just dump the batter into a greased 9x13 glass baking dish, and bake at the same temp, same amount of time (350 for 15min).  Let cool and EAT.

My recipe is different than others because I use less sugar(s) and less chocolate chips/ M &M's.  Using the full amount of sugars/candies makes for some overpoweringly sweet cookies.  Use less and they taste just as good!  I also add wheat bran and flaxmeal to add a little extra fiber and healthy fat- you don't have to do this!  Whatever floats your boat. 

I failed to take play-by-play photos this time around so you are left with the few I managed to shoot before devouring the batter finished product.

Oh the beautiful blend of colors...


It's calling my name...



I think I must eat some.



But no worries, a few made it to the oven.



Enjoy eating, drinking, and being merry. 
Or watching the big game...
Who's playing?  
Nevermind, I'll pretend I know.


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Abbie: catching up on my blog-reading (yours, Kirsten's & PW) today. I DO enjoy your blog-please keep it up! I'm sure there's more than just 10 of us who check it regularly! The monster cookies look great & I will make them (when everyone at work gets off the darn diet-kick)!
Aunt Jean

Post a Comment