Around the World: Thai

|
Hello darlings.  Sorry I've been MIA.  However, this week has been a little harried, and I've been left a little run down as a result.

First, the little man has been sick.  I hate, hate, hate it when he's not feeling well- I'm convinced that this is the absolute worst feeling of parenthood, when your child is ill and there is absolutely nothing you can do to help.  You can pray, give meds, visit the doctor- but beyond that, nothing.

And the little boy wont eat- which kills my heart :(  He's lost a few pounds, quite a lot for a 20 lb little boy...but enough of this, he's doing much better and for this I am thankful!

As promised, I am giving you a little taste of the world today.

However, it is a part of the world I have not yet been: 

Thailand.


But oh, do I want to.  
I mean, doesn't it look fabulous?


How do you even steer on of these things?:


I want to sell fruit on a boat.  
Heck, I want to buy fruit on a boat from these people.


And boy, oh boy, do the Thai love these bad boys:




Yeah.  Hot peppers.  Yeah.

Have you ever been?  If so, please let me know if they really do eat curry paste there.  I love the stuff but absolutely hate it when America decides what is "ethnic" and what isn't.  It's funny how that works, isn't it?  

Anyway.

Here's what I made this week:

Thai Chicken Curry
(adapted from Cooking Light Magazine, March 2010)
1 Tbsp canola oil
3 (6oz) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1" pieces
1/2 tsp salt
2 C colored peppers (green, red, orange- whatever!), cut into strips
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice 
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp red curry paste
1 tsp brown sugar or honey
1 (14oz) can light coconut milk
3 C hot, cooked brown rice
Lime wedges (optional)

Instructions:
1.  Heat a large skillet over med-high heat.  Add oil to pan.  Sprinkle chicken evenly with salt.  Add chicken to pan; cook 6 minutes, turning to brown all sides.  Add bell peppers to pan; saute 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Remove chicken mixture from pan.  Combine juice, soy sauce, curry paste, and sugar in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.  Add juice mixture and coconut milk to pan; bring to a boil.  Cook 12 minutes or until slightly thick.  Return chicken mixture to pan; cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
3. Serve over rice.  Garnish with lime wedges, if desired.  Makes 4 servings.

This is what you'll need:


I like using Just Bare Chicken.
It's free of inhumane ingredients.
Yeah.


Here are the goodies that make this dish shine.
Now, I like mine really hot (normally) so would
have added some of the hotness in the photo above-
however, I'm feeding this stuff to my child and don't
want to deal with the aftermath, if you know what I mean.
I stuck with the pansy-rendition.


Put some oil in a skillet.


Salt your chicken & cut it up.




Chop up those peppers:


Add the chicken to the skillet.


Let those pieces brown.  Make sure to get all sides.


Add your peppers.


Let it all just sizzle.


Mix up your curry dressing in a separate bowl.


Add the milk to the skillet.
Oh, coconut milk.  
So bad for you, so terribly good.


Let it all hang out a bit; mingle, bubble, sizzle.


Cut up some lime wedges.
I LOVE lime.  Have I mentioned this before?
Oh man.


It's certainly up there with chocolate and bacon...
But lime, chocolate, and bacon together?
Not likely.
However, I have recently discovered this:


Yeah.  Bacon.  AND.  Chocolate.

Whoever came up with this combo was an utter genius.


Oh man.  It's lovely.
Don't knock it 'til you try it.

Sorry, back to Thai.

Mix all the good together and let them get friendly for a bit.


Make yourself a yummy salad to go with, 
if you like that sort of thing.
I do.



Especially with this:


Plate it up, baby.


Now as you can see, I added some cannellini beans to the mix.
Why?
Because I wanted to, darn it.
I'm all about tweaking to suit your own tastes.
Do it!  I like me some extra fiber.

Enjoy your little taste of Thailand,
and maybe have a side of bacon n'chocolate.
Let me know how you like it.



4 comments:

Alli said...

I am making this TONIGHT, Abbie!

Okay, maybe tomorrow night. But either way, sometime this week, because we have a whole chicken to use up, and I don't think we can use it all to make kharcho (Georgian yumminess). This provides a perfect second recipe to split our chicken up, and there will probably still be leftovers for chicken noodle soup! :)

jamie said...

looks good ab! been to thailand, but honestly the food wasn't SUPER DUPER good- i was so excited for that part of thailand too! you know, i like hot food, so i don't remember anything being that crazy hot!?

Shadley said...

Funny about the chocolate bacon thing, because I just heard about that on the news last night. I am not a bacon fan but do love chocolate! Thanks for the Thai recipe too!

Steph said...

This is SO good! Made it tonight and followed your recipe, only used turkey since that's what I had on hand, and took your tip and added the cannelini beans plus mini baby corn! Really good recipe, thank you :)

Post a Comment