Perusing the Pantry

|
Hi friends.

I've been MIA since, oh, November.  No apologies though.  I've been taking some much-needed relaxation time away from my PC.  I decided I'm no longer going to beat myself up if my posts are few and far between.  Instead, I'll simply post when and if I feel like it.

This is such a breath of fresh air.

I'm not sure what it is about blogging, but so many people believe if they start a blog, they MUST post every day.

Myself included.

It's a bizarre feeling, having an unknown group of followers and feeling as though you are letting them down somehow...when in truth, they probably don't even notice.  Really.  As a blog reader, as well as a blog writer, I have a few sites I regularly peruse but I don't get agitated when someone doesn't blog daily.  Thus I'm assuming nobody gives a hoot if my posts aren't regular.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway- I generally only post about desserty/carby concoctions and I'm sure, with it being the new year and all, people aren't missing my calorie-laden posts :)  However, this one is no exception so I'm sorry in advance.

But it WILL allow you to use up any lingering sweets and sugary items leftover from the holidays!  It's all about perspective, right?

So what's on the docket?  Something you generally have had a million times, I'm sure. And likely have had it a million ways.

Death by chocolate trifle.

Yes.  It's one of my favorites.  Mainly because it's a cinch to make- just layering things in any given order, and I always have an array of yummy items I could throw together to make one version or another.  The traditional DBCT uses a layering of brownie chunks, chocolate mousse, whipped cream, and toffee bits.  But who likes to maintain tradition?  I'm all about using what you have.

Instead of brownies, use chocolate chip cookies and butterscotch pudding with praline pecans. 

Or ginger snaps with a pumpkin mousse and candied walnuts.

Or shortbread with lemon curd and raspberries. 

Or homemade dark chocolate sea salted brownies with leftover French silk pie filling, homemade Southern Comfort whipped cream, and Snickers bar chunks.

Uh huh.  That last version?  That's the one seen below.


Use what'cha got, folks.
In this case, I had very fabulous items to work with.


It's all in the name of cleaning the pantry, right?



I'm sure you agree.

What are some of your pantry-clearing recipes? 
Here's another one I featured a while back, Enchilada Casserole.

Make yourself the casserole, with a little trifle for dessert, and you can feel good about your resourcefulness.

Enjoy your pantry, you may be surprised at what you come up with.

3 comments:

Shannon Gallegos said...

My mouth is watering...

I'm going to give this one a try soon :)

Susie Johnson said...

I did miss you, Abs. I don't need daily, but I love your post. Your WRITING is good...not just the recipes. I forgot about Trifle and it is so much fun. You reminded me and it is on my list. Hard to make for two....so I do parfait glasses to serve 4 and we eat it for dessert on two occasions. You can't wait for a party, so make a small batch.
Aunt Susie

Tarin Allen said...

Emma and I are drooling....

Post a Comment